Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Things That Make Me Go Hmm...

I am a very curious person.  When I was a kid, I wanted to know why the sky was blue, why cats couldn’t talk like people, where the sun went at night, and things like that.  My parents encouraged this intellectual curiosity even to the point where I didn’t get called on in Sunday School because my questions made the teachers go into collective apoplexy.

Anyway, now I’m (theoretically) grown up and I wonder about other things. 

Today I’m wondering why it is that MTs leave a million hard returns at the end of a document.  Ever since I started working in QA I’ve been mystified by this.  Where do they all come from?  Why don’t people take 2 seconds at the end of a job and delete them?  It is a mystery.

The other thing I wonder about is why people are so resistant to change even when it makes their lives easier.  I’ve had the dubious pleasure of training people on new things that make their lives easier, and boy did they bitch about it.  It went like this:

ME:  J J J LOOK, THIS TAKES FEWER KEYSTROKES AND DOESN’T REQUIRE YOU TO DO THAT THING WE ALL HATE WHICH IS REALLY ANNOYING!  J J J

TRAINEES:  L L L OMG WE FEAR CHANGE THIS IS DIFFERENT WE HATE IT WHY DO WE HAVE TO DO IT MAKE IT GO AWAY!  L L L

Even a very small thing like auto-numbering, which just recently became available on one of the platforms I work on.  I hailed this as an answered prayer, because one of my pet peeves is having to go through and re-number a list because the MT didn’t get it quite right.  I was like J J J NO MORE RENUMBERING! J J J

No-one uses it but me.  Seriously.  And I can’t figure out why.  I mean, which would you rather do with a 20-item list – hit one key combination and have it all numbered just the way it should be, or laboriously enter each number, hoping you don’t miscount or put a tab instead of a space or whatever. 

These are the things that make me tear at my hair and scream OMG IT’S EASIER YOU IDIOTS AAAAAAAAAAAH!  Except I don’t really do that, because if you actually do it people think you are crazy and put you in the mental hospital.  But you know.

Now I’m gonna go take a class on how to wind up a blog post, because I never seem to be able to, LOL.

1 comment:

  1. Yes...very useful... like when the dictator dictates 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 6,7, 7, 9.

    ReplyDelete